Best island destinations in Greece
The Greek islands offer the most diverse holiday options on the planet. No other Archipelago can satisfy the individual needs of any traveler. Party lovers, adventurers, families, couples, anyone will find what he wants. The beaches and the sea can be compared only with the Pacific and Caribbean islands. Not to mention the historical heritage, since they are inhabited continuously for 5000 years now. It is impossible to list them all and below there is a guide to the best island destinations in Greece. The guide to the best island destinations in Greece is just a glimpse of what this beautiful country can offer. There are hundreds more to choose from, including Rhodes, Kos, Lesvos, Skiathos, Thasos, and Skopelos (the setting of Mamma Mia). Go there, swim in the turquoise waters and adapt to the renowned Greek way of life.
Crete is the largest Greek island and it is a destination that needs months to be explored. Most visitors keep coming back for years. The south coast is closer to Africa than to the north of Greece and therefore its waters are suitable for swimming almost all year long. There are hundreds of beaches including the tropical bay of Vai in the northeastern coast, which will make you believe that you are in a Caribbean island. Crete was the home of the Minoan civilization and there are dozens of ancient sites to visit. The most important is the 3500 years old palace of Knossos. A visit there will take your breath away. The most popular resorts are Heraklion, Rethymnon, Chania, and Agios Nikolaos. A day trip to the Gaydos Island in the Libyan Sea will give the opportunity to swim in the Agios Ioannis beach, which is voted many times as the best beach in the world.
The Cyclades is an island chain famous for its distinctive architecture of white plaster buildings with blue windows and doors. Simplicity in all its beauty. Party lovers choose Ios, which was discovered by hippies and Mykonos; an island that does not need any introductions. Paros, Naxos, and Tinos are all around islands suitable for everyone, including families. The capital island of Syros is different from the others due to its Catholic past. For a more relaxed holiday, a tourist can go to Mylos, Amorgos, and Antiparos. Santorini is the jewel of the Archipelago. Many consider Santorini as the most beautiful island on the planet. It owes its beauty to the biggest volcanic explosion in recorded history. Most of the island was sunken and the half moon shaped part that remained is the amazing sight that everyone admires today. The explosion happened around 1500 BC and caused a nuclear winter in all of Europe and Asia. The tidal wave destroyed the Minoan civilization in Crete. Santorini is full of bizarre beaches. The most popular is the Red Beach near the ancient settlement of Akrotiri. A visit to Akrotiri will offer a unique view of the way of life and the architecture of the inhabitants before the explosion.
Eptanisa (the Seven Islands)
This island chain is located in the Ionian Sea in the west of Greece. There are actually more than seven islands and all of them are beautiful. Popular destinations are Kefallonia and Zakynthos. They are both covered with forests and are blessed with amazing beaches. The Navagion (shipwreck) in Zakynthos is the most photographed beach in Europe. It is accessible only by boat and there is actually a ship on the sand. Lefkada is an island so close to the mainland that it can be visited by car through a bridge. Ithaca is the home of Ulysses and a visit there is a must for history buffs. The most popular island is of course Corfu. Its capital city is full of Venetian buildings and palaces. The nature is amazing and it resembles the Caribbean islands.
- 10 Best Amusement Parks for Families in the US
- Exploring Fuerteventura’s Unspoiled Beaches and Remote Areas with a Rented Car
- France Ski Resort: Is A Family Skiing Holiday A Good Idea?
- Top 5 Fun Things to Do When You Visit Athens
- Island Exploration: Menorca, Spain
- 5 Free Must-See Destinations In Paris
- Things to do in Oslo
- Five Simple Tips for Taking Hop-on Hop-off Buses in Budapest
- Campervan Hires in Fuerteventura
- Tourist Attractions in Spain : Diverse & Comprehensive
- Greece: A great family vacation in Keramoti
- What to Consider Before Visiting Paris
- How to Take the Ultimate Campervan Road Trip in Fuerteventura?
- Helsinki Attractions
- Six Things You Need To Avoid When in Budapest
- Hollókő: a traditional Hungarian village
- The Best Reasons to Visit Luxembourg
- Island Exploration: Menorca, Spain
- Best island destinations in Greece
- Treblinka extermination camp
- Barcelona Tourist Attractions – Certainly Worthy
- Majorca Attractions – Purely for Family and Children!
- The best of Lanzarote for families
- Best beaches in Gran Canaria
- Travel Around the World at Low Cost
- A Family Holiday in Rhodes
- Top 5 inspiring places to visit in London
- The Greek Islands – History’s Stepping Stones